Last updated on: September 8th, 2017
Kanakasava (also spelt as Kanakasavam) is an Ayurvedic medicine available in liquid form. It is beneficial for various types of respiratory illness like a cough, dyspnoea, asthma, pulmonary tuberculosis and debility due to chest injury.
Ingredients of Kanakasava
- Kanaka (Dhattura) 192 g
- Vrishamula tvak (Vasa) 192 g
- Madhuka (Yashti) 96 g
- Magadhi (Pippali) 96 g
- Vyaghri (Kantakari) 96 g
- Keshara (Nagakeshara) 96 g
- Vishvabheshaja (Shunthi) 96 g
- Bharangi 96 g
- Talishapatra (Talisa) 96 g
- Dhataki 768 g
- Draksha 960 g
- Water 24.576 L
- Sharkara 4.800 kg
- Kshaudra (Madhu) 2.400 kg
(Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Hikka Shvasadhikara: 98-102)
The quantity of each ingredient shown here is as per the text. It may be changed accordingly as per your requirement.
Dosage of Kanakasava
12 to 24 ml mixed with equal quantity of water twice a day after meal.
- Kasa (Cough)
- Shvasa (Dyspnoea/Asthma)
- Rajayakshma (Tuberculosis)
- Kshata Kshina (Debility due to chest injury)
- In a cough, it is taken twice a day after a meal in prescribed dose. Also, Eladi Vati (250mg) in a dry cough or Lavangadi Vati (250mg) or Vyoshadi Vati (250mg) in a cough with expectoration is to be sucked 3-4 times a day. Nayopayam Kashayam (15ml+ 60ml water) may also be taken along with above medicines.
- In dyspnoea and asthma, Shwas Kuthar Rasa (250mg), Talisadi Churna (3-5gm) or Sitopladi Churna (3-5gm if wet cough), Abhrak Bhasma (75mg), Prawal Pishti (125mg) are mixed together and taken twice a day 1 hour before breakfast and dinner with honey or Tulasi leaves juice. Kanakasava is taken along with these medicines twice a day after a meal.
- In pulmonary tuberculosis, Kanakasava should be taken in prescribed dose mixed with Dashmoolajeerakarishta (15ml) and 30ml water. Also, Chyavanprasha (5-10gm) and Sitopladi Churna (3-5gm) are recommended.
- In debility due to the chest injury, Lakshadi Guggul (250-500mg), Sitopladi Churna (3-5gm) and Prawal Pishti (125mg) are taken twice a day 1 hour before breakfast and dinner. And Kanakasava is taken in prescribed dose twice daily after a meal.
Side Effects, Pregnancy Safety & Precaution
- May cause throat irritation, gastric discomfort and sedation if taken in a higher dose.
- It should be taken with precaution in persons with hyperacidity.
- Not recommended in ulcers and diabetes.
- Not safe during pregnancy.
- It contains Dhatura (thorn apple), hence should be taken under Ayurvedic physician's supervision only.