Last updated on: December 30th, 2018
Agnikarma is a thermal para-surgical procedure, in which “AGNI” is used for intentional burning as therapeutic purpose. It is indicated for various Vata- Kapha disorders.
IMPORTANCE OF AGNIKARMA
- It is a highly potential procedure than the bheshaja, Shastra & ksharakarma.
- It is very effective to terminate the chance of recurrence of the disease.
- No infection.
- No secondary complication if done properly.
- Painful conditions of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Hard, elevated and desensitized vranas/ulcer.
- Granthi, Arsas, Bhagandara, Arbuda, Sleepada, Charmakeela and Antravridhi.
- Severe bleeding condition.
- Pitta Prakruti
- Antah shonita (Internal bleeding)
- Bhinna koshtha (Ruptured viscera)
- Nuddhrita shalya (in presence of foreign body)
- Durbala (emaciated), Bala (children), Vriddha (old aged), Bheeru (coward), Aneka vrana peedita (with multiple wounds)
Manpower: A trained doctor and technician
Space and requirements: 1 small sized room (10x 10) with proper light. It can be done in OP level also. Chair or stool- 1, Examination table/ Droni- 1.
- Permanent Marker
- Gas stove, lighter
- Surgical spirit or Murivenna, Gloves
- Cotton gauze
- Haridra Churna (turmeric), Aloe vera pulp
- Educate the patient
- Obtain informed consent
- Ask the patient to satisfy natural urges
- Check vitals
- The patient should be allowed to be in a comfortable position, exposing the site of the problem.
- Keep Shalaka in the gas stove for heating.
- Wear surgical gloves.
- Clean the site with the surgical spirit or Murivenna.
- Mark the tenderest points with a marker.
- Ensure Shalaka to be red hot.
- Hold red hot Shalaka strongly in one hand and touch in the marked points for 2-3 seconds only (depends on the site and tenderness).
- Keep Shalaka in specified the place.
- Apply Aloe vera pulp over the Agnikarma site. Wait for a while and then apply Haridra churna with cotton over there.
MODE OF ACTION
Agnikarma (ushnaguna) >> Utkleshnam to dhathu >> Activates dhatwagni >> Digest Aama and achieve niramavastha >> Pacifies Vata & Kapha
- Agnikarma produces a coagulative necrosis on the surface layers of skin which causes self-healing. There is no need of post-procedural medication locally or orally.
EFFECTS OF AGNIKARMA
- Increases metabolism
- Increases blood circulation
- Decreases pain
- Exciting/stimulating nerves
- Relaxation to muscles
- Decreases infection
- Decreases joint stiffness and inflammation.
APPLICATION & DURATION
- It depends up on site & disease
- Usually 2 to 5 seconds & more than 5 seconds in corn, callosity etc.
Effect of Agnikarma on mamsa dhatu will reaches into sira, snayu, asthi & sandhi.
TIME / SEASON
All seasons except Greeshma & Sharat Ritu. In the case of emergency, it can be done in any season with special precaution.
- Agnikarma should not be done empty stomach. It is better to take Pichchila anna before Agnikarma.
- Should be aware of vital parts of the body, season, vyadhi dhosha avastha.
- Care should be taken while heating Shalaka and placing it in specified place after Agnikarma.
COMPLICATIONS AND MANAGEMENT
No specific complication if done properly.
- In the field of pain management and cosmetic therapy, Agnikarma procedure can be done very effectively and safely.
- Its procedures are simple and almost have no medicines for internal and external use.
- To the patients, it is very convenient and economic.
- Agnikarma procedure needed to have more scientific studies and evaluation.
- Agnikarma will become one of the most promising branches of Ayurveda in future.