Diabetes is described in Ayurveda under Prameha chapter. There are many Ayurvedic medicines available in the market for diabetes. These are two types – one is classical (shashtrokta) and other are proprietary (patent). Haridra, Meshashringi (Gurmar), Methika, Nimba, Jambu, Kataka etc. are single herbs which are found to be effective in decreasing blood sugar level. This post explains about best ayurvedic medicine for diabetes (especially for type 2 diabetes) which I experienced in my practice. I have selected 5 classical (shashtrokta) and 5 proprietary medicines for this list. These should be taken under Ayurveda doctor’s supervision in combination with other medicines as required. As Ayurvedic medicines do not lower down blood sugar level instantly, it is recommended to take it along with allopathic medicines as per your doctor’s advice. Also, it is found that Ayurvedic medicines have no effects in blood sugar level in few of the patients. Ayurvedic medicines can be taken as herbal supplement and rejuvenator along with allopathic medicines to reduce side effects of allopathic medicines. I have seen many patients with good controlled blood sugar level with allopathic medicines but they feel numbness and tingling over foot sole, weakness, sexual debility, burning sensation of feet and other diabetic complications. In such cases, Ayurvedic medicines are very useful to be taken along with their conventional medicines. Panchakarma Therapies are also recommended for detox and rejuvenation purposes.
10 Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Diabetes
- Nishakatakadi Kashayam
- Dhatrinishadi Churnam
- Dhanwantaram Ghritam
- Vasanta Kusumakara Rasa
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Shilajitvadi Vati
- Kataka Khadiradi Kashayam
Self experienced Formulations:
- Chirayata Ghansatva Tablet
- Ayurvite Wellness Madhusmita Capsules
- Brisk walking & healthy life-style
Let’s discuss these 10 best Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes in brief –
1. Nishakatakadi Kashayam – This is available in liquid or dry decoction form. I experienced this medicine as the best Ayurvedic hypoglycemic medicine, especially in Type 2 diabetes. It is good for pre-diabetes, diabetes and diabetic complications like neuropathy etc. Nisha Katakadi Kashayam is formulated based on traditional Kerala Ayurveda system. A Higher dose of this medicine may cause in the lower level of blood sugar level.
Ingredients of Nishakatakadi Kashayam –
The dosage of Nisha Katakadi Kashayam – 15 ml mixed with 60 ml lukewarm water twice a day 1 hour before breakfast and dinner.
2. Dhatri Nishadi Churnam – By its name it is clear that it is available in powder form. Dhatri Nishadi Churnam is good for diabetes and related issues. It controls an increase in blood sugar level and rejuvenates body by nourishing damaged tissues.
Dosage of Dhatri Nishadi Churnam – 5 gm twice a day with lukewarm water 1 hour before the meal.
3. Dhanwantaram Ghritam – It is a type of medicated ghee processed with herbs. It is available in liquid form or semisolid to solid in cold climatic conditions. Dhanwantaram Ghritam is one of the best Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes and associated conditions. It is found to be very effective in diabetic food, boils and carbuncles and other skin problems. It is also good in some stages of fistula in ano. As medicated ghee is the form of Ayurvedic medicine which passes the blood-brain barrier, it is very effective in diabetic neuropathy and paralysis.
The dosage of Dhanwantaram Ghritam- 5 to 10 gm once or twice a day with lukewarm milk before or after a meal (as directed by the physician according to condition).
4. Vasanta Kusumakara Rasa – In the list of 10 best Ayurvedic medicines for diabetes, Vasanta kusumakara Rasa (also spelt as Basant Kusumakar Ras) should come first due to its multi-system work. But I mentioned it in the fourth number because it does not lower down blood sugar level directly. It is available in the form of tablet or powder. It is used in diabetes, urinary problems, sexual debility, gynaecological problems, paralysis and other neurological problems.
Ingredients of Vasanta kusumakara rasa –
Quantity sufficient of following liquids for grinding –
Juice extract or water decoction of –
Vasanta kusumakara rasa is indicated in all types of Prameha (urinary problem) including diabetes. It is also good medicine for diabetic neuropathy, diabetic nephropathy, diabetic retinopathy, sexual weakness caused due to diabetes and other complications of diabetes. Due to its multi system actions, it comes first in best ayurvedic medicine for diabetes.
The dosage of Vasanta Kusumakara Rasa – 120 mg to 250 mg once or twice a day 1hour before breakfast and dinner.
5. Chandraprabha Vati – It is also one of the best ayurvedic medicine for diabetes prescribed by many Ayurveda doctors to a diabetic patient. This medicine does not lower down blood sugar level but helps to correct the metabolic activities of the internal systems mainly digestive, urinary, reproductive and neuromuscular system. It is generally used along with other Ayurvedic antidiabetic medicines.
Ingredients of Chandraprabha Vati –
The dosage of Chandraprabha Vati – 500 mg to 1 gm twice a day before or after a meal with lukewarm water or milk.
6. Shilajivadi Vati
Shilajitvadi Vati is a classical preparation indicated for the treatment of various types of Prameha (urine diseases including diabetes). The main ingredient of this medicine is Shilajit (purified) hence termed as Shilajitvadi Vati or Shilajitwadi Vati. It helps in reducing blood sugar level and gives strength to the neuro-muscular system and reproductive system. As, diabetic patients feel very tired and lethargic even though their blood glucose level is normal in test. This Shilajivadi Vati is a good supplement for them. It is also helpful in sexual weakness caused in diabetic patient (for both men and women).
Ingredients of Shiljivadi Vati
- Shuddha Shilajit (Purified asphaltum)
- Trivang Bhasma
- Neem (Azadirecta indica)
- Gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre)
- Swarna Bhasma
Here, Swarna bhasma (processed gold) is mentioned. Some pharmacies make Shilajitvadi Vati without Swarna Bhasma, and that is also very effective. It’s recommended dose is 500 mg to 1000 mg twice a day.
7. Kataka Khadiradi Kashayam
Kataka Khadiradi Kashayam is a Classical Ayurvedic Medicine indicated in the treatment of Prameha (diabetes). It is of poly herbal formulation (only plants are used as ingredient). It is used in diabetes, it’s complications and some skin diseases. It’s recommended dosage is 15 to 20 ml mixed in equal quantity of water, twice a day empty stomach/ before meal.
Ingredients of Kataka Khadiradi Kashayam
|Si.No||Sanskrit name||Botanical name||Quantity|
|1||Kataka||Strychnos potatorum||1 Part|
|2||Khadira||Acacia catechu||1 Part|
|3||Dhatri(Amalaki)||Emblica officinalis||1 Part|
|4||Vairi||Salacia reticulata||1 Part|
|5||Darvi(Daruharidra)||Berberis aristata||1 Part|
|6||Samanga||Cassia mimosoides||1 Part|
|7||Vidula||Barringtonia acutangula||1 Part|
|8||Rajani(Haridra)||Curcuma longa||1 Part|
|9||Pata||Cyclea peltata||1 Part|
|10||Chootabija(Aamra bija)||Mangifera indica||1 Part|
|11||Abhaya(Hareetaki)||Terminalia chebula||1 Part|
|12||Abda(Mustha)||Cyperus rotundus||1 Part|
8. Chirayata Ghansatva
Chirayata (Swertia chirrata) is an Indian herb known for its anti-diabetic and hepato-protective properties. Chirayata is commonly used in Ayurveda for the treatment of Prameha, Jwara (fever) and Liver disorders. It is very bitter herb and helps in reducing blood sugar level in hyperglycemic patients (diabetic). It doesn’t lowers blood sugar level of non-diabetic. Chirayata can be taken in crude form, by drying and powdering whole plant and filtered with a 60-80 mess sieve. Chirayata powder can be taken in a dose of 5 gm twice a day with water. Also, decoction (Kwath/ kadha) made from raw herb can be taken in a dose of 10-20 ml twice daily. Or else, it’s Ghansatva can be taken in a dose of 500 mg to 1 g twice a day.
9. Ayurvite Wellness Madhusmita Capsule
Madhusmita Capsule is a proprietary and clinically trialed medicine of Ayurvite Wellness. It;s main ingredients are Shilajitvadi Vati, Jambuphalasthi Ghansatva, Chirayata Ghansatva, Trivang Bhasma, Nimba Ghansatva, Udumbar Ghansatva, Haridra Ghansatva and Kataka Khadiradi Kashayam.
10. Brisk Walking & healthy diet
Maharishi Charaka mentioned that walking daily is one of the best remedy for Prameha. And, we also found that, the patients who are walking daily for at least 30 minutes have very good diabetic profile. So, healthy life-style and diet are the best medicines everyone should be followed and done.
SUMMARY- Diabetes is a metabolic disorder related to endocrine system. It is effectively and best controlled by allopathic medicines. But only maintaining blood sugar level under control is not the solution. A diabetic patient has many problems which persist even when sugar level is under control by allopathic medicines. And here the need of Ayurvedic medicines comes into the picture. All the above mentioned best ayurvedic medicine for diabetes are clinically tested and used by many patients in India and abroad.
If this article helped you in any way, please do not forget to write a comment below. If you have tried any Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes and found that very effective then please let us know. Wish you all a healthy life.